Member Companies & Projects
During the 1950s, an influx of Chinese immigrants increased the demand for housing and infrastructure in Hong Kong
On Christmas Day 1953, one of the most disastrous fires in Hong Kong history destroyed the entire squatter area in Shek Kip Mei, rendering over 50,000 people homeless
The fire prompted the government to improve the public’s living environment by initiating massive redevelopment projects, boosting the demand for construction materials
Multi-storey resettlement blocks were first built in 1955 to provide safe homes for the fire victims and became the primitive models for massive public housing
With great insight to market demand, Dr Lui Che-woo founded the first K. Wah Company in 1955 and started construction material business
K. Wah undertook infrastructure works like land reclamation and road construction in East Kowloon, including Kwun Tong, Lam Tin, Yau Tong, Sau Mau Ping and Lok Fu, laying the foundation for Hong Kong’s light industrial development
The quarrying industry was labour-intensive in the 1950s. Workers used simple hammers and chisels, which was inefficient and dangerous
The quarrying industry was labour-intensive in the 1950s. Workers used simple hammers and chisels, which was inefficient and dangerous
The quarrying industry was labour-intensive in the 1950s. Workers used simple hammers and chisels, which was inefficient and dangerous
The young Dr Lui Che-woo (front row, 3rd from right) imported machines from Okinawa, Japan after the Korean War in late 1950s
Dr Lui Che-woo (back row, 7th from left) implemented automation equipment in quarrying
K. Wah marked the start of safe and efficient quarrying with the introduction of mechanization in quarrying
K. Wah marked the start of safe and efficient quarrying with the introduction of mechanization in quarrying
K. Wah marked the start of safe and efficient quarrying with the introduction of mechanization in quarrying
In early 1960s, the Government started to regulate the quarrying industry via open tender for authorized quarrying activities. In 1964, K. Wah was the first private enterprise to obtain a quarry rights contract in Hong Kong, at Anderson Road Quarry 1
K. Wah supplied construction materials for major infrastructure projects in Hong Kong, including the Lion Rock Tunnel that opened in 1967
The general population began to enjoy a fairly comfortable life with robust industrial growth in Hong Kong, especially in the manufacturing sector in textiles and apparel, plastics and electronic products
The general population began to enjoy a fairly comfortable life with robust industrial growth in Hong Kong, especially in the manufacturing sector in textiles and apparel, plastics and electronic products
K. Wah started private property development in 1962, with the first project in Cha Kwo Ling Road
By 1965, new public housing accommodated one million Hong Kong people. The North Point Estate was the first public housing estate built by the Housing Authority

During the post war 1950s, Hong Kong’s population jumped considerably, yet the living environment was abominable. After the big fire in Shek Kip Mei in 1953, the Government speeded up building infrastructure and public housing. The young Lui saw it as an opportunity and acquired surplus machines left from the Korean War in Japan for quarrying. In 1955, he started the first K.Wah company and implemented automation equipment in the quarry, where work had been manually done. It marked the start of safe and efficient quarrying in Hong Kong, laying solid foundations for the company to excel in the construction material industry.

Quarrying activities blossomed in early 1960s. In order to regulate the industry, in particular its safety standard, the Government started to contract qualified players via open tender for authorized quarrying activities. Pioneering in the industry, K. Wah was the first private enterprise to obtain a quarrying rights contract in Hong Kong, at Anderson Road (Quarry 1) in 1964.

With rapid development of local industries and increasing income of people, demand for quality housing was also burgeoning. Riding on the opportunity, K. Wah made its first move to develop private housing by investing in a project at Cha Kwo Ling Road in 1962.

|
|
|